June 2, 2013

Pixel Painting - Explosive Icons (Super Bomberman)



I am a huge fan of the Super Bomberman era. I loved how much it took from the initial, simple idea presented nearly ten years beforehand and just ran with it.

Super Bomberman was the tenth installment in the series (and it was only 1993). The already-iconic symbols were given a splash of color and a very detailed look, and they are really impressive for only being 16x16 pixels each.


There are definitely more icons than the sixteen I chose, and it was hard to decide which ones I wanted to use. The orientation was also a tough call, but I am really pleased with the result.


16-bit sprites are definitely more time-consuming, mainly due to the fact that there's way more colors, and less blobs of it all in one place.


But in the end, the shading effect the original artists created is insanely good.


I didn't replicate the sprites exactly. They actually have a border around each square. In the game, it quickly flashes for a very cool effect. But in a static setting, it looked bad. So I just blocked off each one in its solid-color background (without the border) instead.


The whole thing measures 20"x 20".


Love that rice ball.


Obligatory artistic shot.


Next commission lined up is from Chrono Trigger. Pretty excited about it.

Commissions are always welcome. Price varies based on the size and complexity of the sprite/scene. I moderate comments, so leave one with your contact email and request.

No comments:

Post a Comment